Afternoon Buttermilk Scones
Picture yourself enjoying these on our dining room verandah. You deserve it after a long day of canoeing and hiking!
2 ½ tsp
all purpose flour
butter, unsalted, cold, cut into small pieces
grated orange or lemon zest
small plump currants
butter, unsalted, melted, for brushing
vanilla scented sugar, for dusting.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (or 350 degrees fan high in convection oven) with racks in the middle.
- Stir dry ingredients together in medium bowl.
- Work in butter using fingertips, pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
- Pour in buttermilk, add zest and dried fruit and mix with fork until ingredients are just moistened - you'll have a soft dough with a rough look. Don't over mix!
- If it looks too dry, add 1 T buttermilk and knead briefly for about 12 turns.
- Roll dough to a 1 inch thickness, and cut 2 inch rounds using a pastry cutter, place on parchment paper covered cookie sheets.
- Brush with ½ melted butter amount, sprinkle with 2 T sugar.
- Bake 6-8 minutes, until tops & bottoms are golden.
- Transfer to racks to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Delicious either on their own or with homemade jam!